If you already have a YouTube channel or are planning to start one, then these are a few tips that will definitely be very useful for you. Here are 7 important tips for making good YouTube videos that will be very useful for making videos in 2017.
Tips for making good YouTube videos
- Shoot your videos in flat profile.
I don’t know if you know this already or not, but shooting a video in flat profile really gives you the control on your footage. During post production, you can pump in the right amount of saturation and contrast to provide.
So here’s how to do this:
- Make sure your DSLR is in manual and photo mode.
- Download EOS utility and Technicolor Cinestyle from the link in the description.
- Install EOS utility in your pc and click on remote settings
- Then select user definition and click on custom profile then select that profile and click on ok. That’s it. You are done.
- Now your camera is ready to shoot in flat.
Please note that the steps mentioned above will work only on a Canon DSLR. I used these settings on my Canon 80D. If you use a different DSLR, then you can search the web for your respective flat mode settings.
- Background lighting and related accessories.
A background is the most important part of your video’s appearance. If your background is boring or dull, then your video will not attract too many likes.
To spice up your background, you can add a LED strip to your table or a salt lamp or even a Xiaomi Yee lamp to light up your desk.
During editing, you can really tweak the flat footage and get the most out of it. Just go to “Windows”, then select “Lumetri color” and expert with the different sliders.
If you don’t know how to play with the contrast, saturation and other adjustments then you can use something called a LUT. LUTS are basically like filter for videos that will give your footage a specific type of look and feel.
Further to make your footage look more cinematic you can add cinematic bars to your video
Let me show you how.
- Go to effects then drag and drop the crop effect into the footage.
- Then go into effect controls.then make the top to 10% and bottom 10%.
That’s it! You got the cinematic bars. if you want this effect in all your clips then simply the right on the current clip press ctrl a to select all and then press ctrl shift v.
- Attractive thumbnail.
A good thumbnail is always more likely to attract viewers. The thumbnail must be relevant to the content of your video. You can even take a nice snapshot of your video, add an attractive text to it and use it as a thumbnail.
- Maintain uniformity
There should be some kind of static thing in every thumbnail of yours. This thing shows more of your videos in related box thus increasing your channel watch time. So add a subtle logo or graphic in each every thumbnail of yours and see the magic.
- A good description.
Always write a good description that is relevant to your video. Keep it to the point and try adding links and other reference sources for extra information. It will really help you get ranked in search.
- Emojis in titles and descriptions.
You can always add some emojis in the video’s title or description to make it more catchy for your viewers. Adding emojis highlights the feel of the text. But don’t add too many emojis.
- Add CC or subtitles
Always remember to add subtitles to your videos. This is useful in 2 ways.
- Sometimes viewers can’t understand a certain term, point or sentence from your audio. Subtitles will enhance your script and can help viewers understand your content better.
- Never forget that some of your viewers may be partially or completely deaf. They can still watch your video and understand the content if you have added subtitles to your video.